Tony's Train Exchange Forum Index

Specials, Sale Items, Bargains!
Subscribe to Tony's eTips Newsletter!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Installing decoder w/sound in Atlas Alco RS-1 Classic Series

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tony's Train Exchange Forum Index -> Train Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grayfox1119
L1: Learner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Installing decoder w/sound in Atlas Alco RS-1 Classic Series Reply with quote

I have an Atlas Alco RS-1, Classic Series, HO guage loco that I would like to install a decoder with sound. Before I purchase the decoder, I want to make sure that it is possible ( spacewise ) to install. There is a light board under the hood presently, no DCC socket, so that means this board would have to be removed of course. My big concern is: Is there enough room for sound decoder? Question
CRSTrains

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Sound decoder installation in Atlas RS-1 Reply with quote

I have installed a Soundtraxx DSD-100AT board with an .063 speaker/enclosure in an original RS-1. I was surprised at how much sound comes out of such a small speaker. I had to shorten the light bars to fit the speaker in one end on top of the truck. I use Golden White LED's so there is no heat build up that can damage the shell. You do have to put in the capacitor/resistor fix listed under Soundtraxx on Tony's site to keep the LED's from blinking in the opposite direction: http://www.tonystrains.com/technews/soundtraxx-lcleds.htm

Good Luck
grayfox1119

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:35 pm    Post subject: Decoder with sound for Atlas RS-1 Reply with quote

Thank you Scott, I was hoping that it could be done, and it appears that you are satisfied with your results. I thought I might have had to drill holes to improve the sound output, but from what you say, the sound is good!!
Regards,

Dick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tony's Train Exchange Forum Index -> Train Talk All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: