DCC Specialties Block Watcher™
Buy Block Watcher
Block Watch Manual (PDF - external link)
Block Watcher Review
Micro-Processor control gives the Block Watcher unique, exclusive performance.
List: $29.95 (Tony's price)
DCC Specialties and Integrated Signal Systems (ISS) collaborated to develop and design the Block Watcher. The need was due to the fact that at the higher amperages required by high density users, most existing products either create a substantial voltage drop or can become unstable.
The Block Watcher™ is a new concept in block detection.
puts the power of a microprocessor to work analyzing the current feed to the
rails. This detector has been designed to eliminate many of the installation
problems associated with the installation of signal systems. The Block
Watcher comes ready to install, all you have to do is to connect it between
the DCC booster or circuit breaker and the rails. Then connect the detector output switch to your signal system.
The Block Watcher™ has many uses and applications.
It can not only be
used as the basis of signaling systems, but can also be used to indicate
occupied blocks or triggers for Stop-On-DCC decoders. The Block Watcher is
powered from the DCC input power and eliminates the need for an added
external power supply. The output is optically isolated so the signaling
system can be separate from the DCC signal and thus minimize the interference with operation of the signal circuits. The detector will handle
up to 20 Amps of DCC current. An automatic adjustment for leakage current up
to 130 mA is provided. Detection output terminals are available for a
switched output and remote LED block detect indication. The bi-polar output
can be used with any signaling system using less than 30 Volts and will
switch up to 1 A of current.
Here are the special features:
- All Solid State Operation: Fast, all solid-state design with reliable
- No Power Supply Needed: Develops power from the DCC input connections.
- Very Low Voltage Drop: The resistance is less than 0.060 Ohms, very small
- Adaptive Block Leakage Detection: Electronically determines the amount of
leakage current in the block when power is turned on. The current can also
be set with a CV value up to about 130 mA.
- Stabilized Setting for Current Trip Level: This prevents the block
detection from fluttering on and off when the current is near the trip
- Block Detection Option: Block detection can be turned on with an Accessory Command for testing signals even with nothing in the block. This feature can
also be used to turn the signals red to protect a crossing.
- Block Detection Output Isolated from Track Power: The output switch is
totally isolated from the track power. This eliminates many wiring problems
when combining signal circuits and track power.
- Outputs for LED Indicator: A single LED output can be used for a remote
We welcome comments or suggestions
from readers; please write