INTRODUCING TONY'S "eTIPS" NEWSLETTER
Tony's own tips as well as news from the world of DC and DCC model railroading delivered straight to your inbox.
Click here to sign up!
May 11, 2006
Other uses for Soundtraxx Bachmann 2-8-0 decoder (820010)
Buy Soundtraxx Products
Submitted by Gene Moser
I've found it easy to install the Soundtraxx 280 sound decoder meant for
the Spectrum 2-8-0 into the Life-Like C&O 2-8-4. I suspect using the
same technique will work for the other Life-Like 2-8-4, and probably the
2-8-8-2 and other steam locomotives with large tenders.
- Acquire a wiring harness with a female 8 prong and a male 8 prong.
Tony's will make one for a reasonable fee. It should be between 2 and 4
- Open the tender and remove the plug from board fastened to the
tender floor. Remove the board and put electrical tape over the pins
and the floor. Place tape on the metal portion of the plug.
- Attach the harness to the plug and the decoder/speaker.
- Drill holes in the coal load to allow the sound to escape.
- Fasten the decoder/speaker board to the top of the tender shell with
the speaker under the coal load.
- Verify that the decoder works and secure the tender shell to the